Watch

Download

INNOVATION AND MOTIVATION

INNOVATION AND MOTIVATION
Now as most of the y'all know BW Blog is 100 '000' % a HIP HOP blog,with that said, BW BLOG would like to welcome home THE BW  SHOP home. The BW SHOP is the first ever skate company in Botswana. Now what we have here is an adaptation of a post on THE BW SHOP’s Facebook group by once BW SHOP team rider Laone Dingalo. Thabiso Gulubane one of the BW SHOp team riders put BW blog on this,and i thought to share it with the rest of the world.


Laone Dingalo
February 18, 2010
'Today was a bad day. Everything about it was the same as any other day, except for one thing: I couldn't skate at the end of my daily 9 to 5 grind due to the sky taking a piss. So to compensate I put on a skate vid and I started to get all nostalgic and shit. I got flashbacks of when I was still learning to ollie, back when my young eyes were glued to the TV watching the X Games, the internet trick tip tutorials. the Saturday mall sessions, the broken boards, busted bearings and the torn things on my feet (I would call them shoes, but eish! LOL). I started to wonder why I was watching this vid in the first place. What would it achieve? Why did I even start skating and even more importantly why do I continue to skate?

I’m watching this vid now, “strange world” (Zero Skateboards) and I'm checking out Dane Burman open his part with a front heel, then fakie flip, switch front 180 up and nollie heel down a 3 stair platform, then a backside 360 down a 5 stair all in one line. In “suffer the joy” (Toy Machine), Billy Marks busts out a fronside flip down a young set, followed by a switch backside heel and then a front nosegrind down a rail. While this is hardly innovative it does motivate. I’m sure y'all have seen similar lines in other vids. However sick these lines may be, most of these tricks are not out of reach (that’s right, all you lil BW dudes can bust them out). Fine, it may take a while to bust them in the street environment, but it’s something to aim for. But why?


In “Ride the Sky” (Fallen Shoes), Chris Cole opens with a trick that blows the mind. A back 180 nosegrind, switch big spin heel out on knee high ledge. That’s innovation right there. Of course, there’s also the king, Rodney Mullen, ripping it to bits in “Round 3” (Almost Skateboards). I don’t even want to try get into the fire that dude brings! Oh shit, that reminds me, in “Rise Up” (Element), Janne Saario unleashes manual madness! His pivots can only be rivaled by Daewon Song. Word! But I’m losing the plot now. LOL... Anyway, the reason I used to watch sk8 vids was to learn tricks on a ‘monkey-see-monkey-do’ type principle. Hell, I learnt how to inward heel and better my trĂ© from Mike Mo Capaldi’s part in “Fully Flared” (Lakai Shoes). But with some of these vids, I aint gonna learn shit! Fuck’n fakie-bluntslide big flip out! It’s like fantasy skating. Sure, I have vague dreams of doing that shit and making it pro, but I know that that is highly unlikely. But I still aim for it. Why?

This brings me back to my first questions. Why did I start skating n why do I continue to do so? The first one is easy, I wanted the glory! All the good stuff! Winning contests and shit and generally being boss. That aint the case anymore, well it is to a much lesser degree (I can still hope right? LOL). I don’t know why I still do it though. Is it fun? Is it an escape?
If so why does it feel like such hard work?'
 BE ON THE LOOK OUT FOR MORE ARTICLES FROM THE BW SHOP STILL TO CUM, VIDEO REVIEWS,INTERVIEWS VIDEOS,AND MUCH, MUCH MORE

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites